Thursday

How to use Perfect Past Tense

Student: Johnny
Country: Spain

Explain me a bit about of the perfect past tense. I think a bit complicated !!!!


Grant Teacher's Answer:

The Past Perfect expresses the idea that something occurred before another action in the past. It can also show that something happened before a specific time in the past.


Examples:

  • I had never seen such a beautiful beach before I went to Kauai.
  • I did not have any money because I had lost my wallet.
  • Tony knew Istanbul so well because he had visited the city several times.
  • Had Susan ever studied Thai before she moved to Thailand?
  • She only understood the movie because she had read the book.
  • Kristine had never been to an opera before last night.
  • We were not able to get a hotel room because we had not booked in advance.
  • A: Had you ever visited the U.S. before your trip in 2006?
    B: Yes, I had been to the U.S. once before.
(source: http://www.englishpage.com/verbpage/pastperfect.html)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ask Grant Teacher

Ask An English Question
or email your question to:
EnglishTeacherGrant.post@blogger.com

ex:
Student Question:
"What does the slang phrase 'rolling in dough' mean?

Student's Name: Teddy
Student's Country: China
___________________ ________________________________________