Wednesday

Speak Like A Real American

American English speakers don't always speak words perfectly. They sometimes shorten words and phrases to make them sound more natural.
These are called "Reductions."
For example: Give me = Gimme, What is her = Whatser



Here are more examples (Resource:www.funeasyenglish.com)

1. Reductions formed with what + is + word
  • whassup

    • Formation: whassup = what + is + up

    • Usage: Hey, whassup?

    • Meaning: Hey, what is up?

  • whatser

    • Formation: whatser = what + is + her

    • Usage: Whatser name?

    • Meaning: What is her name?

  • whatsiz

    • Formation: whatsiz = what + is + his

    • Usage: Whatsiz name?

    • Meaning: What is his name?




2. Reductions formed with word + me
  • gimme

    • Formation: gimme = give + me

    • Usage: Please gimme the book.

    • Meaning: Please give me the book.

  • lemme

    • Formation: lemme = let + me

    • Usage: Please lemme go with you.

    • Meaning: Please let me go with you




3. Reductions formed with word(s) + you
  • betcha

    • Formation: betcha = bet + you

    • Usage: Betcha can't eat just one.

    • Meaning: Bet you can't eat just one.

  • doncha

    • Formation: doncha = don't + you

    • Usage: Doncha think that exam was hard.

    • Meaning: Don't you think that exam was hard.

  • getcha

    • Formation: getcha = get + you

    • Usage: I'm planning to getcha some new clothes.

    • Meaning: I'm planning to get you some new clothes.

  • gotcha

    • Formation: gotcha = got + you

    • Usage: I already gotcha some new clothes.

    • Meaning: I already got you some new clothes.

  • howarya

    • Formation: howarya = how + are + you

    • Usage: Howarya doing today?

    • Meaning: How are you doing today?

  • howdya

    • Formation: howdya = how + do + you

    • Usage: Howdya make delicious sushi?

    • Meaning: How do you make delicious sushi?

  • howjya

    • Formation: howjya = how + did + you

    • Usage: Howjya get the money for school?

    • Meaning: How did you get the money for school?

  • howujya

    • Formation: howujya = how + would + you

    • Usage: Howujya get the answer to this problem.

    • Meaning: How would you get the answer to this problem.

  • jya

    • Formation: jya = did + you

    • Usage: Jya go to class today?

    • Meaning: Did you go to class today?

  • waddaya

    • Formation: waddaya = what + are + you

    • Usage: Waddaya doing tonight?

    • Meaning: What are you doing tonight?

  • waddaya

    • Formation: waddaya = what + do + you

    • Usage: Waddaya think of this restaurant?

    • Meaning: What do you think of this restaurant?

  • wancha

    • Formation: wancha = want + you

    • Usage: I wancha to do your homework.

    • Meaning: I want you to do your homework.

  • whajya

    • Formation: whajya = what + did + you

    • Usage: Whajya do today?

    • Meaning: What did you do today?

  • whenjya

    • Formation: whenjya = when + did + you

    • Usage: Whenjya decide to study English?

    • Meaning: When did you decide to study English?

  • wherjya

    • Formation: wherjya = where + did + you

    • Usage: Wherjya go today?

    • Meaning: Where did you go today?

  • whojya

    • Formation: whojya = who + did + you

    • Usage: Whojya go to the park with today?

    • Meaning: Who did you go to the park with today?

  • woujya

    • Formation: woujya = would + you

    • Usage: Woujya like to go to the movies tonight?

    • Meaning: Would you like to go to the movies tonight?




4. Reductions formed with word + have
  • coulda

    • Formation: coulda = could + have

    • Usage: I coulda eaten one more donut.

    • Meaning: I could have eaten one more donut.

  • mighta

    • Formation: mighta = might + have

    • Usage: I mighta gone to the party if she wasn't going.

    • Meaning: I might have gone to the party if she wasn't going.

  • musta

    • Formation: musta = must + have

    • Usage: She musta been really tired after working so many hours.

    • Meaning: She must have been really tired after working so many hours.

  • shoulda

    • Formation: shoulda = should + have

    • Usage: You really shoulda come with us.

    • Meaning: You really should have come with us.

  • woulda

    • Formation: woulda = would + have

    • Usage: I woulda come if I wasn't working.

    • Meaning: I would have come if I wasn't working.




5. Reductions formed with word + of
  • frunna

    • Formation: frunna = front + of

    • Usage: Your shoes are in frunna the door.

    • Meaning: Your shoes are in front of the door.

  • kinda

    • Formation: kinda = kind + of

    • Usage: I kinda like eating at restaurants.

    • Meaning: I kind of like eating at restaurants.

  • kindsa

    • Formation: kindsa = kinds + of

    • Usage: What kindsa food do you usually eat at restaurants?

    • Meaning: What kinds of food do you usually eat at restaurants?

  • lotsa

    • Formation: lotsa = lots + of

    • Usage: I plan on eating lotsa food at the buffet.

    • Meaning: I plan on eating lots of food at the buffet.

  • lotta

    • Formation: lotta = lot + of

    • Usage: There was a lotta food at the buffet.

    • Meaning: There was a lot of food at the buffet.

  • outta

    • Formation: outta = out + of

    • Usage: Hey, let's get outta here.

    • Meaning: Hey, let's get out of here.

  • sorta

    • Formation: sorta = sort + of

    • Usage: What sorta book are you looking for?

    • Meaning: What sort of book are you looking for?

  • typa

    • Formation: typa = type + of

    • Usage: What typa food did they serve?

    • Meaning: What type of food did they serve?




6. Reductions formed with word + to
  • gonna

    • Formation: gonna = going + to

    • Usage: I'm gonna have to work every day next week.

    • Meaning: I'm going to have to work every day next week.

  • gotta

    • Formation: gotta = got + to

    • Usage: I gotta get up early to go work.

    • Meaning: I got to get up early to go work.

  • hafta

    • Formation: hafta = have + to

    • Usage: I hafta work overtime tonight.

    • Meaning: I have to work overtime tonight.

  • hasta

    • Formation: hasta = has + to

    • Usage: She hasta work this weekend.

    • Meaning: She has to work this weekend.

  • oughta

    • Formation: oughta = ought + to

    • Usage: You oughta find a better job.

    • Meaning: You ought to find a better job.

  • wanna

    • Formation: wanna = want + to

    • Usage: I really wanna find a better job.

    • Meaning: I really want to find a better job.




7. Reductions formed with word + me
  • donno

    • Formation: donno = don't + know

    • Usage: I really donno the answer to the question.

    • Meaning: I really don't know the answer to the question.

  • dunno

    • Formation: dunno = don't + know

    • Usage: I really dunno the answer to the question.

    • Meaning: I really don't know the answer to the question.














No comments:

Post a Comment

Ask Grant Teacher

Ask An English Question
or email your question to:
EnglishTeacherGrant.post@blogger.com

ex:
Student Question:
"What does the slang phrase 'rolling in dough' mean?

Student's Name: Teddy
Student's Country: China
___________________ ________________________________________